>SharePoint 2007 to 2010 migration path

>

Our SharePoint 2010 migration is planned for next year (2011). To prepare this I did a test-migration of our 2007 platform to a new 2010 environment. These were the steps I followed:

  1. Setup a new environment:
    1. a server (Windows server 2008 R2 Standard) with 8GB RAM memory where we will install the SharePoint 2010 environment.
    2. a server (Windows server 2008 R2 Standaard) with 8GB RAM memory where we install SQL Server 2008 Standard and where we will put our content databases.
  2. Take a SQL backup of the 2007 content database you want to migrate
    1. BACKUP DATABASE nameOfTheContentDB TO DISK=’backuppath\file.bak
  3. In a production environment you have to mark you databases as readonly at this time so nobody can put new information in it.
  4. Copy the backup file to the new SQL server
  5. Restore the database on the new server (using the SQL Server management studio)
  6. In the Central Administration, delete the contentdb of the (in my case: empty) webapplication you want to restore/migrate: http://servername:2010/_admin/CNTDBADM.aspx
  7. At this point we will test the database by using this powershell command:
    1. Test-SPContentDatabase –name dbname –WebApplication http://servername
    2. the output of this command is a list with errors and warnings. Read them very carefully and try to fix them. Most of the errors are missing features of missing webparts (that –in most cases- use those features). Install the missing solutions/features on the new webserver and run the command again. Some of the errors are not blokking the upgrade so if you can’t fix them all that is not a problem. You can also do this later (but try to do this at this time! This will save you a lot of time)
  8. Add the database to the webapplication by using this powershell command:
    1. Mount-SPContentDatabase –Name dbname –DatabaseServer dbservername –WebApplication http://servername
    2. This can take some time so grab a coffee!
  9. Read the error/log file at the end!

There steps did it for me. Now I can fix some broken webpart of views …